Saturday, May 5, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Using the CNC router (and a little help from the shop guys) I was able to cut 3/4" plywood into 20 pieces of boards for the project. Each board had several notches that would enable the pieces to fit together into a triangular pattern.
After the inner frame was assembled, I continued with the outer framework which consisted of 3/4" boards made from cedar. Cedar because it does typically does well outdoors and has a beautiful color.
I have learned a lot over the course of this studio, including how to make a wooden bracket (see image above). I was able to drill screws through the cedar boards and attach it to the bracket to add extra support. Thanks again to the shop guys for teaching me new tricks.
I am putting inside the framework stained acrylic and also garden plants (see above). I started the plants over spring break as seedlings and now they are getting really big! I have sweet peas, scarlet runner beans, tomatoes, radishes and onions. Hopefully the peas and beans will start climbing up the framework for a cool effect.
Next I am going to cut patterns on acrylic using a laser cutter then and insert them into the framework...
The stock pavilion was transformed into a garden with lots of hard work by Kealan O'neil and the Horticulture club this last weekend. The hedge was used to divide the floor space and help direct the visitors. The Hort club did an excellent job transforming the SP. Very Impressive.
My Mom and Dad came from downstate to see what all the commotion was about; I got some labor out of them.