Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegetated structure




Using the CNC router (and a little help from the shop guys) I was able to cut 3/4" plywood into 20 pieces of boards for the project.  Each board had several notches that would enable the pieces to fit together into a triangular pattern.




After the inner frame was assembled, I continued with the outer framework which consisted of 3/4" boards made from cedar.  Cedar because it does typically does well outdoors and has a beautiful color.




I have learned a lot over the course of this studio, including how to make a wooden bracket (see image above).  I was able to drill screws through the cedar boards and attach it to the bracket to add extra support.  Thanks again to the shop guys for teaching me new tricks.






I am putting inside the framework stained acrylic and also garden plants (see above).  I started the plants over spring break as seedlings and now they are getting really big!  I have sweet peas, scarlet runner beans, tomatoes, radishes and onions.  Hopefully the peas and beans will start climbing up the framework for a cool effect.

Next I am going to cut patterns on acrylic using a laser cutter then and insert them into the framework...


No comments:

Post a Comment